A message from Dr. Dee Mangin
Our vision is of a medical system where explicit interventions for reducing the burden of treatment are part of routine preventive care — just like immunization and screening.
TaperMD was originally developed by Data Based Medicine Americas Ltd., in conjunction with the Department of Family Medicine at McMaster University, to help reduce the medication burden in seniors. We have used it in various research studies to validate and improve the system, and now we are offering it for broader clinical use beginning with approved beta testers.
With TaperMD, patients and their health care professionals have a simple but powerful tool to begin a meaningful conversation by discussing questions such as:
- Do I still need all of my medications or can some of them be tapered or stopped?
- Do my medications reflect my priorities for care?
- Can this effect that I am experiencing be caused by a medication?
- Can my pill regimen be simplified?
- Are there strategies that don’t use drugs for my condition?
It may be that at the end of the process, patients find that they are on exactly the right medications and that no changes are necessary, but not always. Remember, less is often more!
Dee Mangin, MD
David Braley Chair in Family Medicine
McMaster University, Canada
905-525-9140, ext. 21685