A message from Dr. Dee Mangin
Our vision is of a medical system where explicit interventions for reducing the burden of treatment are part of routine preventive care — just like immunization and screening.
TaperMD was originally developed by Data Based Medicine Americas Ltd., in conjunction with the Department of Family Medicine at McMaster University, to help reduce the medication burden in seniors. We have used it in various research studies to validate and improve the system, and now we are offering it for broader clinical use beginning with approved beta testers. For more information on the McMaster Taper project click here.
With TaperMD, patients and their health care professionals have a simple but powerful tool to begin a meaningful conversation by discussing questions such as:
- Do I still need all of my medications or can some of them be tapered or stopped?
- Do my medications reflect my priorities for care?
- Can this effect that I am experiencing be caused by a medication?
- Can my pill regimen be simplified?
- Are there strategies that don’t use drugs for my condition?
It may be that at the end of the process, patients find that they are on exactly the right medications and that no changes are necessary, but not always. Remember, less is often more!
Dee Mangin, MD
David Braley Chair in Family Medicine
McMaster University, Canada
905-525-9140, ext. 21685
Papers & Links
- Mangin et trials: Team approach to polypharmacy evaluation and reduction: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial (2021) 22:746 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-021-05685-9
- Clinical judgments, not algorithms, are key to patient safety—an essay by David Healy and Dee Mangin
BMJ 2019; 367 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l5777 (Published 02 October 2019) Cite this as: BMJ 2019;367:l5777
- Farrel B, Mangin D – Deprescribing Is an Essential Part of Good Prescribing American Family Physician January 1, 2019.
- Mangin D, Lawson J, Cuppage J, et al. Legacy drug-prescribing patterns in primary care. Ann Fam Med. 2018;16(6):515–520.
- Mangin, D., Bahat, G., Golomb, B.A. et al. International Group for Reducing Inappropriate Medication Use & Polypharmacy (IGRIMUP): Position Statement and 10 Recommendations for Action Drugs Aging (2018) Drugs Aging (2018) 35: 575. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40266-018-0554-2
- Optimal Prescribing to Enhance Mobility Among Seniors: A GeriMedRisk-TaperMD collaboration
- TAPER Researchers Narrow-in on Better Medication Use
- Doron Garfinkel, Dee Mangin. Addressing polypharmacy: Feasibility study of a systematic approach for discontinuation of multiple medications in older adults Arch Intern Med. 2010 Oct 11;170(18):1648-54. doi: 10.1001/archinternmed.2010.355.