Working together to help pharmacists perform better, more efficient medication reviews.
TaperMD’s intuitive medication-review dashboard and clinical support tools are now seamlessly connected to relevant PointClickCare patient information, and medication history, eliminating the need for time-consuming rekeying of data.
Pharmacists benefit by seeing information customized to their patients, including evidence-based support tools, clinical guidance, and methods to triage medication issues. TaperMD also tracks the history of recommendations and easily generates reports to share with nursing staff and prescribers, allowing pharmacists to focus on high-value tasks that improve patient outcomes and to preemptively catch medication issues before any adverse outcomes occur.
This ground-breaking integration will benefit pharmacists who serve LTPAC facilities that use PointClickCare by allowing them to focus on high-value tasks that improve patient outcomes and catch medication issues before adverse outcomes occur.
To use TaperMD’s Pharmacist’s dashboard no new login credentials are required. Only your PointClickCare credentials.
The Pharmacist’s dashboard is presented as a single web page allowing for streamlined clinical consulting. There are three sections to the dashboard.
- Patient Information
- Evidence and Risk Assessment Grid
- Clinical Pathway
Two-way connection with PointClickCare automatically incorporates patient data:
- History, vitals, conditions, allergies, lab values, and priorities
- Medications, dosing, and route information
Evidence and Risk Assessment Grid
Relevant screens are presented in a grid that visually flags potential risks for each medication through automated screens against the patient’s medications and conditions.
The automated screens include:
- Cumulative anticholinergic burden
- Cumulative risk for serotonin syndrome
- Hypotension and fall risk
- QT prolongation and Torsades de pointes (TdP) risk
- Potentially inappropriate medicines (PIMs)
- Dose adjustments for impaired kidney function
- Medication appropriateness for dementia
- Interactions checker
The grid also provides access to FDA product monographs and a drill-down capability for more detail on the screens with explanations and links to evidence.
The dashboard includes a clinical pathway allowing CPs to quickly add and track recommendations for each medication – supported by the latest tapering/GDR and monitoring guidance and quickly access the full history of changes and results. The CPs recommendations can be posted to the Patient’s chart and/or the Observations Tab in PointClickCare.
Streamlined Clinical Consulting With Benefits
Evidence and Risk Assessment
- TaperMD is designed to provide up-to-date evidence for Pharmacists, customized for each patient. Medication screens in a consolidated layout make a comprehensive analysis easy, with detailed drill-downs still available to the practitioner.
Reduce Data Entry
- TaperMD eliminates time-consuming double data entry by maintaining a live two-way connection with PointClickCare which saves time rekeying data. A historical record of medication changes and recommendations is maintained. This makes it simple for the Pharmacist to quickly get up to date on the patient’s history and begin the next review.
- Up to date patient history, clear reporting, and easy to use interface enhances communication within the patient’s circle of care.
Latest Guidance and Methodologies
- TaperMD provides links to relevant medication literature that is regularly updated by industry-leading academics and physicians, providing the latest guidance and methodologies for effective tapering and monitoring and reducing variation in drug regimen reviews through a standardized process.
- TaperMD is a browser-based platform which means no installation is required. All that is needed is a device with a stable internet connection. TaperMD uses industry-standard secure socket layer technology (SSL), is HIPPA compliant, stores minimal patient data (numerical identifiers only) in encrypted form, draws patient data from PointClickCare only for the session, and leaves patient data in the custody of PointClickCare.
Want to learn more? Ready to get started?
Contact us here.
For PointClickCare facilities
As a facility representative who uses PointClickCare, how do I begin the integration process with TaperMD?
What does TaperMD’s integration process with PointClickCare entail from the facility perspective?
Each PointClickCare facility must have a prerequisite “integration package” with space available in the package to integrate with TaperMD (or any third-party vendor in the PointClickCare Marketplace). Ask your PointClickCare account manager if you have questions about your facility’s integration capabilities.
Mutual integration interest must be established between your facility and a TaperMD user for the integration to move forward. The TaperMD provider group must submit an integration interest form to be added to the PCC integration project list, and your facility group must submit a Marketplace application.
What places of service for the facility are included in the integration?
PointClickCare integrations are established at the PointClickCare resident census level. We have found that most PointClickCare facilities keep nursing, skilled nursing, and assisted living residents on a single PointClickCare census while some TaperMD customers choose to separate their facilities in TaperMD by place of service. Due to this distinction, we often connect a single PointClickCare integration to multiple places of service in TaperMD.
Is this integration secure for my facility?
Yes, TaperMD is a HIPAA-compliant EHR platform that provides secure, cloud-based access to patient records. Frequent backups along with dual authentication and encryption factors protect against data loss or security breaches. The integrity of these features is maintained throughout its integration with PointClickCare. Patient records are imported just during a user session and only PointClickCare numeric identifiers are stored in TaperMD along with the Consultant Pharmacists notes.
Additionally, upon import of each PointClickCare resident into TaperMD, the user performing the import must attest to the following:
The Standards for Privacy of Individually Identifiable Health Information at 45 CFT Parts 160 and 164 (the “Privacy Rules”) took effect on April 14, 2003. In accordance with the Privacy Rules, TaperMD, has entered into a Business Associate Agreement with your organization and that TaperMD creates, receives, maintains or transmits Protected Health Information from or on behalf of your organization, which information is subject to protection under the Federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, Pub. L. No. 104-191 (“HIPAA”), the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, Title XIII of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (the “HITECH Act”), and related regulations promulgated by the Secretary (“HIPAA Regulations”). By accepting this patient’s health information into TAPERMD, you are attesting that they are a valid patient of your organization and covered by the existing Business Associate Agreement.
How much does the integration cost?
A: Your facility organization will never incur a charge from TaperMD for the PointClickCare integration.
With that said, the PointClickCare facility must have a prerequisite “integration package” with space available in the package to integrate with TAPERMD (or any third-party vendor in the PCC marketplace). Ask your PointClickCare account representative if you have questions about your facility’s integration capabilities.
Meanwhile, the TaperMD user will incur a monthly charge from TaperMD for each unique PointClickCare integration.
Do I need a business agreement for this integration?
We don’t require a business agreement; however, some facility managers do. If you need a business agreement for your facility, connect with us at support@TaperMD and we will provide you with the proper documentation.
For Consultant Pharmacists
Will the user’s PointClickCare account need to be modified to support the integration with TaperMD?
- The answer is ‘Maybe’, if a user is authorized to do the function in PointClickCare, they should be able to do the function in TaperMD.
- Standard user roles and scopes from PCC that are necessary to fully utilize the integration include:
- “user/patient.read”, “Get Patient Demographics”
- “user/coverage.read”, “Get Patient Insurance”
- “user/medication.read”, “Get Patient Medications”
- “user/allergyintolerance.read”, “Get Patient Allergies”
- “user/progressnote.write”, “Send Encounters”
- “user/progressnoteaddendum.write”, “Send Addendums”
- Consolidate access for Users who visit more than one facility in your network. A user should have only one unique set of PCC login credentials for a facility network. The problem with multiple user accounts within the same facility organization is that encounters will not send consistently through the interface due to a ‘User lacks access to facility’ discrepancy.
- Ensure the PointClickCare user account(s) have been added to every appropriate resident profile so they will be able to see the residents’ records.
Where do the medication reviews from TaperMD populate in PointClickCare?
Upon submission of a review for a PointClickCare linked patient reviews are posted as ‘External Encounter Note’ in the Progress Note section of the patient’s PointClickCare record (under a new ‘External Encounter Notes’ tab) and posted as a document to the Patient record.
A representative with the facility network already submitted the integration application but was denied by TaperMD. Why?
Your facility’s application was likely rejected if we did not have any interested PointClickCare customer on file requesting the integration (See Step 1 above).
Does the facility pay TaperMD for this integration?
No, TaperMD does not charge the facility to integrate with us. Facilities must have a prerequisite ‘integration package’ with PointClickCare, and we understand this is required for the facility to connect with any 3rd party applications in the PointClickCare marketplace.
Please reach out to your PointClickCare customer success manager or PointClickCare sales account rep for more information.